Friday, October 5, 2012

Discouraged much?

Anytime I get nervous or anxious about my mission, (or more accurately, discouraged) I go to the mission blog so that my thoughts and feelings can come back down to earth. Today as I entered the home page, a message from my mission president, President Miller, showed up as the first post. I loved it so much that I wanted to share it with you.


DISCOURAGEMENT
President Gordon B. Hinckley was called to the European Mission with headquarters in London, England. The mission was hard and success seemed impossible. Discouraged, Gordon wrote his father saying, “I am wasting my time and your money. I don’t see any point in my staying here.” His father’s reply came, “Dear Gordon, I have your letter. I have only one suggestion. Forget yourself and go to work. With love, Your Father.” After pondering this response and reading Mark 8:35, Gordon promised the Lord that he would try to forget himself and go to work. “I count that as the day of decision in my life. Everything good that has happened to me since then I can trace back to the decision I made at that time.”
For those who have been or are discouraged, I would ask you to view the letter President Hinckley’s father wrote to him as a letter written by your parents to you and make this as the “day of decision”. Of all the tools Satan employs he is most effective with this instrument. When he cannot get to a missionary in any other way, he uses this tact. During World War II the Japanese had a woman by the name of “Tokyo Rose” who sent messages many times each day telling the “American Boys” to go back home. She would taunt them that they were giving their lives for no reason and they should go home and enjoy the comforts of their home. Although Tokyo Rose is not calling you, there are sirens from the adversary saying the same thing.
BEWARE OF THE EVIL TOOL: A Chinese legend describes how the Father of Sin decided to have a sale and dispose of all his tools to anyone who would pay his price. The implements were laid out in a row for inspection and among others were tools labeled: “Malice”, “Envy”, “Hatred”, “Jealousy”, and “Deceit”. Each one had a price tag on it. Apart from the others lay a harmless looking, wedge-shaped tool, very much worn from use. It was priced a great deal higher than the rest. One of the buyers asked the Devil what it was, “That, he answered, is Discouragement: and it’s in fine shape.” “But why have you priced it so high?” asked the buyer. The Devil answered; “Because it is more useful to me than any of the other tools. I can pry open and get inside a man’s consciousness with that wedge when I can’t get near him with any of the others. And believe me, once I do get inside, I can use that man in whatever way suits me best. Of course, you’ll notice it is well worn. That’s because I use it with nearly everybody, for very few of you mortals know that it belongs to me.” However, the price was so high that this particular tool was never sold. The Devil still owns it and is still using it. ( From The Ambassador. ) See Hymn # 241 “Count Your Blessings” –Do not be discouraged, thinking all is lost.
Please review and identity these scriptures and how they relate to discouragement
2 Nephi 2:1-2, Mosiah 3:129, Mosiah 4:27

No comments:

Post a Comment