Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Constant

In life, "the only constant is change."-Heraclitus

I love change. If I find myself swaddled in a comfort zone, I start to crave change. I love change because I believe that life should be an adventure; it should be exciting and mysterious and challenging. (I think this might explain why I detest having the same discussion twice, or watching the same movie more than once)
The other reason why I seek after change is because I have a natural tendency to fight it. I'm comfortable with routines, habits, and familiar scenery. I love being familiar with everyone and everything. When change threatens to rip away those things from me, I put up my boxing gloves. For this reason, I embrace change because through opposition I grow. Struggling through something I don't want to do strengthens my character and makes me more prepared for life's next boxing match.
We were made for this. As humans, we are manufactured to transform. The purpose of this life is to prepare to meet God, by becoming like Him; which obviously requires a complete transformation. I'm grateful for the atonement of Jesus Christ because it provides the way for us to become anew, as often as we repent.
Change is: all around, within, influencing nature, creating us.

A quote by CS Lewis comes to mind.
"Every time you make a choice you are turning the central part of you, the part of you that chooses, into something a little different from what it was before. And taking your life as a whole, with all your innumerable choices, all your life long you are slowly turning this central thing either into a heavenly creature or into a hellish creature: either into a creature that is in harmony with God, and with other creatures, and with itself, or else into one that is in a state of war and hatred with God, and with its fellow-creatures, and with itself. To be the one kind of creature is heaven: that is, it is joy and peace and knowledge and power. To be the other means madness, horror, idiocy, rage, impotence, and eternal loneliness. Each of us at each moment is progressing to the one state or the other." -CS Lewis, Mere Christianity

No comments:

Post a Comment