Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hi, Dad.

From the time I was born, prayer has been an integral part of my life. One of the only glimpses of my childhood that I can remember is the scene of my parents tucking me in at night and whispering a bedtime prayer with me...along with a short song. I feel small, peaceful, and loved when I think back on those memories.
As I continued to grow, prayer quickly became the only source of comfort for me; the only constant reservoir of power and strength. At a young age and with simple faith, I relied heavily on prayer to keep me from sinking into fear and complete misery. As my world (as I saw it) was crumbling on all sides, God was unchanging and invincible. It was during these difficult times that I allowed my Father in Heaven to carry me in His arms because I went to Him in humble prayer.
Slowly and almost imperceptibly, I digressed from communing with my Heavenly Father, to speaking repetitious prayers, to not communicating with Him at all. I thought of myself as a good person, but I had lost my personal relationship with God. Consequently, I was not making good choices, or being a good friend, or living a Christ-centered life. Therefore, light and happiness were diminishing from my life and I went through a period of darkness.
I can not point to the exact turning point, because I don't think there was one. It was through a process of humility, repentance, obedience, and lots of effort that I began to make prayer a part of my life again. Finally, prayer changed from being a chore, to being a significant part of my day, of my thoughts, of my soul even.

This last Sunday I was having a hard time. I've noticed that Satan works really really hard to bring me down on the Sabbath. He is so irritating! I may be filled with love and joy, but there's a little piece of negative energy that's trying to poke it's way into my heart. (stop it!! Just let me be happy!) Well, this past Sunday, I made room for that pestering negative...thing. I couldn't even put it into words. I couldn't vent about it to a friend because I didn't know what "it" was, I just knew that "it" was there...hindering my peace.
I carried this with me until Monday night. I spent the evening with three of the most fabulously beautiful ladies this world has ever seen. We had a splendid time together, as usual. Thankfully, and divinely, I had to take one of these wonderful women home.
Our 15 minute drive turned into about a 2 hour heart-to-heart. (and I am NOT complaining!) I listened intently as my dear friend shared with me the things that had been burdening her. Through the things that she shared, I was able to discover, and to place the negative "thing" that had been bothering me! I was elated! Before she left the car to go inside her house, I stopped her. "wait, can I just vent to you for a second?" "of course!" she replied. So I let it all out, dispelled all of the weeds and made room for flowers to bloom...and oh, did they ever! I will forever be grateful for the advice my wise and inspired friend shared with me.
"Talk to your Father." she said. "Talk to Him like you're talking to me now. Be honest. Tell Him the desires of your heart. Tell Him what you want your life to look like." "okay" I said. (duh, of course Andrea, prayer cures all problems.) She interrupted my thoughts with "But don't you dare start off your prayer with 'Dear Heavenly Father.' He doesn't want to hear that, He wants to hear from you. He's waiting to talk to you. He LOVES when His children talk to Him. He'll be listening. When I'm feeling down, I start off my prayers with 'Hi it's me, you know who it is. We need to talk.'" (haha, don't you just love her?) She was so right. I embraced her and promised I would heed her advice as I drove to my next destination for the night.

For the first time in my entire life, I opened my prayer with
"Hi, Dad."
Immediately, I felt His presence. What followed was the most delightful and heavenly car ride I've ever experienced. I just chatted with Him, talking as if He were my best girlfriend, holding nothing back. Basically, we went on a Daddy-Daughter date. I know He was beside me in the car, just like He had been in the past. But this time was different. I wasn't asking for forgiveness, or seeking guidance, or pleading for blessings. I was simply sharing my heart and soul with my Dad. My Dad who loves me, who knows me intimately, who wants to see me happy.
I'm confident that He enjoyed our conversation as much as I did. I felt loved, empowered, energized, and accompanied by His Holy Spirit. I felt justified in my feelings, and not for a second did I feel irreverent or disrespectful. Undoubtedly, "to every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven." (Ecclesiastes 3:1) There is a time to submit to His will, and there is a time to express the desires of your heart.
Our "Hi, Dad" talks will now be the most treasured and anticipated conversations I have with Him.

I am grateful that God is our King, Healer, Governor, Creator, Master, Judge, and Ruler. But above all, I am immensely grateful that He is our Loving, Eternal Father in Heaven.              

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing how vunerable you can be. I love this post. You are inspiring in every way.

    ReplyDelete