Friday, January 6, 2012

Silence


I've had many many hours to myself within the last month and I've discovered that there are many different kinds of silences that are unique unto themselves.

Some of the ones I love:
-Thick dense silence in a dark, enormous cave
-Silence as I pray in my car
-The silence and peace felt in the Holy Temple
-Closing my bedroom door from hours of cries, screams, and craziness.
-The silence after a dance party, long after tinnitus in my ears has stopped
-The silence in a library
-Silence around a campfire
-Silence while I'm reading the Holy scriptures
-The silence in Arizona, as the blazing sun slides under the horizon
-The shock and silence of earth and nature recovering from a monsoon
-The brief silence between the end of an emotional song and the audience's applause
-The crashing sound of the Pacific shore, you may disagree, but it's silent and still to me
-In the morning, snuggled under my covers, daydreaming in sweet silence
-A long, warm, and comfortable silence between me and an old, familiar friend
-Silence while I'm studying

The ones I hate:
-Silence as tests are being handed out in school, and hearts are thumping
-When I have something I desperately need to tell someone, but I can't, because I'm scared, and all I hear are my words repeatedly pounding in my head, and silence...because the other person is waiting, or thinking, or doesn't know what's going on in my head, so they don't ask, and I don't speak.
-Silence while alone in a big, empty house 

1 comment:

  1. I hate all those silences too!

    A silent house isn't all that bad, you can sing at the top of your lungs!!

    ReplyDelete